Wednesday, February 18, 2009

going back


lately I reminisce
remembering how as a child

wrapped in a warm towel
clean after a bath
I would point my nose to the ceiling and shake my head slowly back and forth tickle my spine with the ends of my blond wisps
and wish my mom would let me grow out my hair

I seek to reconnect with such simple pleasures
I see my own daughter examine a dried leaf

she watches it tumbling

driven by the breeze

to be enraptured by something so simple

I want to be that intent
focused on enjoying the small
I wonder how we went from aching for the simple thrill of finding your hand in another's grasp
to wanting so much more flesh

almost insatiably
and I wonder

how does one go back

2 comments:

  1. This has been on my mind a lot lately, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do this to -- hair is always longest right out of the bath and you can fantasize your Lady Godiva...

    If I can figure out how to get back, I'll let you know... I've been wondering that for years.

    ReplyDelete