Thursday, January 29, 2009

Did you know you had it in you?


A good friend lent me a book of poetry and while the poems are a celebration of this poets god-love, the words are no less moving and your personal idea of god can be interchanged easily. You could easily remove the god parts altogether as well. For me I've gotten very comfortable with the use of the word "god" even if it does have allusions to the traditional Christian religion that is force fed to us daily in the U.S. I believe there is something more than myself on this planet. I also believe that that thing or energy or light is reflected in us.
We are part of it all.
You are part of my god-head.

...enjoy


Against My Own Hand

you are
a shy divine deer
that I cannot cease tracking

though only once of late
did I get so close
to see

my own face and heart
reflected

in your wondrous soft eyes

only once of late, beloved,
when I thought that I had you
at last concerned

did
Hafiz
come to know
the sublime beauty of god's body

against my own
hand.


From The Gift: Poems by Hafiz the great Sufi master

No comments:

Post a Comment